After having spent five hours shopping for various boring items like new shoes for the kids, walking shoes for me (yup, another pair of Cats worn down), and some household items, we managed to get some nice and quiet time once the kids had found their way to their beds.
We found a nice white wine we hadn’t tried before, Argento Chardonnay, which went nicely with Jack’s spicy Chili Chicken Salad. We finished the bottle during our game of Uno, and rounded off with a bottle of Young’s Double Chocolate Stout; a surprisingly nice stout, which we’ll drink again. A deep flavoured stout makes for a nice dessert and keeps your fingers out of the candy bag 🙂
Jack’s spicy Chili Chicken Salad
Ingredients (2-4 persons)
Bag of baby spinach
One yellow or orange paprika (sweet capsicum)
Half head of iceberg lettuce (“crisphead”)
Crème fraîche (chili flavored, *)
Ground black pepper
(*) You want a sweet chili flavor. If you cannot get already flavored crème fraîche where you live, make some yourself by mixing crème fraîche with a table spoon or two of some asian chili sauce.
- Debone the chicken and throw away the skin. Cut the meat into “appetizing pieces”; this is a relative term and means different things to different people. I prefer smaller pieces that fit on the fork
- Peel and core the apple, chop the apple into thumb sized pieces
- Peel the onion and chop it into fine pieces
- Wash and core the paprika, chop into same size pieces as the apple
- Wash the lettuce and “slice” it into strings; split the strings halfway
- Mix the chicken, apple, onion, and lettuce with the crème fraîche in a bowl. Add ground black pepper and walnuts, and mix some more
- Wash the baby spinach, remove any big stems still on the leaves, and add to the chicken mix. Turn over a few times, carefully
- Wash the cocktail tomatoes and cut them in half. Add them to the bowl and turn over a few more times
Serve immediately. If you want bread, I’d add some garlic and thyme buttered warm rolls.
- A nice white wine, chardonnay
- Ice cold water with a squeeze of lime or lemon juice
- Cold beer without too much of a defined character; like Corona or Heineken