Taking a “web snapshot” of a website is sometimes quite useful to give an idea of what a given website looks like. There are a number of “thumbnail” solutions out there, including web API:s and web services. I found Thumbalizr and Bluga.net’s WebThumb to be quite easy to use for one-off snaps of a few sites I wanted to thumbnail.
Here are a few sites that can possibly aid you in creating “website snaps”:
- Thumbalizr: www.thumbalizr.com (also has an add-on for Firefox)
- Websnapr: www.websnapr.com (also has a number of plugins for blogs, etc)
- iWebTool: thumbnails.iwebtool.com
- Bluga.net WebThumb: webthumb.bluga.net
- Zubrag.com: Zubrag PHP site thumbnail generator (runs only on Windows PHP installations)
- PicoShot: PicoShot
- Convert HTML to image: www.converthtmltoimage.com (Windows command-line utility, free trial with watermark)
- SnapShotter: www.mewsoft.com/Products/Snapshotter.html (Windows command-line utility)
I also found an article on Splitbrain.org that may be of interest; another article on the same topic is “15 Ways To Create Website Screenshots”. The second article also list a number of useful plugins for Firefox.